Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Dawg Daze are over, the Dawg Daze are done (well sort of)

It feels like I've already been here for so long and yet it's been less than a week. So much has happened and yet classes haven't even begun. Because classes don't start until tomorrow, the University of Washington hosts something called Dawg Daze. Basically from the 20th through the 28th there are tons of activities ranging from concerts, to tours, to free yoga classes. Although, they still go on a few days after school has started all of the major stuff(other than the student activities fair) is over. So here's what's happened in this past Dawg Daze week.

Friday morning I didn't go to any events because I went out to breakfast with my dad. He was leaving that day so I wanted to make sure I took the chance to see him for a last time. First, we went shopping and I got a laundry basket because I was stupid enough to leave mine at home. I also got measuring spoons which have so far proven useful for tea, cream of wheat, and hot cocoa.We went to a cute little place about ten minutes away from the University and had a really tasty breakfast. They had
delicious homemade jam, the potatoes were fantastic, and the inside of my omelet was full of great flavors. I wasn't a fan of how thick the omelet was, but honestly, the rest of the food was so good I didn't really mind.

After my dad dropped me off back at my dorm and we said goodbye for real, I went and took a tour of the campus that focused on all of different fine arts buildings. I learned that we have two museums on campus and both are free to students. My tour guides didn't actually seem to know all that much about the arts programs, which I thought was rather odd. It was nice to see more of the campus though so that I could start to find my way around. Later that night we had our first floor meeting. Our RA just talked about the different things we had to sign up for, such as a cluster meeting to get our balconies unlocked and one-on-one meetings with her. We were also all supposed to go to a movie night in the quad with all of the freshmen and free rootbeer floats. Unfortunately it started to rain, as it is wont to do here in Seattle, and the movie night was cancelled. We did end up having a building movie night, which I later found out was suggested by my RA. Afterwards there was a Carnival in Red Square. The marching band played, there were carnival games, I got free food, and I danced in the rain until midnight. 

Saturday I was starting to feel rather ill and I figured out that Brittany had managed to give me her cold before I left. So, I slept in for a bit, but I wasn't about to let being sick to get in the way of the things I wanted to do. At one o'clock I went on a bus tour of downtown. It wasn't super helpful because I've already been downtown quite a few times, but it was really nice to see how the buses work. I also checked out the District Market on the west side of campus and was pleased to see that it had a much better selection than the markets I've seen on North Campus. 


After I got back I didn't really want to go out again and neither did Emma (she'd been at the football game) because it was hot and sunny outside and we were pretty tired. I really wasn't feeling well so I took an hour nap and then at seven o'clock, Emma and I went to a comedy show at Meany Hall. Some of the first performer's material was kind of boring and some of the second's was kind of offensive, but overall I was pretty satisfied and I certainly laughed a lot. After the comedy show, we headed over the the Husky Student Union Building for the HUB crawl. I had heard from my tour guide earlier that there would be free pizza, so Emma and I immediately sought it out. It was a good thing that we did so, because right after we got our pizza the lines got so long that I literally could not see the end of them. We watched a hot dog eating contest, but were seriously disappointed. The winner only had about six hot dogs and none of them seemed very serious about it. They didn't even separate the dogs from the buns and eat them separately, dipping the buns in water, which I know is a basic hot dog eating contest strategy. We went to a dance party in the HUB and stayed until midnight, though by that time I was slightly delirious, both from fatigue and because my throat was hurting so badly.

The next day my throat felt completely better... but I felt super congested and ended up completely losing my voice. I stayed in bed until around eleven hoping that my body would work on fighting the illness off, but it didn't seem to work. Around two o'clock I went the the Husky Kickoff, which was the only required event of Dawg Daze and it was awful. It might not have been so bad if I could actually had possessed the ability to talk like a normal person instead of a wounded goose. We did a bunch of ice breaker/meet new people type activities and the formed a giant W on the football field for a photo. It took over two hours, it was boring, and I was in a pretty bad mood by the time we got back to the dorm.

Monday was much better in comparison. I started off the morning by going to a lecture on Internships and Student Employment at 10:00. It was very informative and definitely made me more interested in looking for internships and volunteer opportunities, but I was still feeling pretty sick so a lot of the information didn't stick. Luckily I picked up plenty of fliers so I could look up the information later. 

Later I went to the Fall Fling on the lawn of the HUB and hung out with Emma and Kayla. There were three different groups that performed and surprisingly, I enjoyed listening to all of them. After the second artist had finished, Emma, Kayla, and I went into the HUB and got some food. We went back out for the last few songs of the last artist and then Emma and I went back to our dorm to get ready for the Late Night Shopping at Fred Meyer event.






We got in line for the buses around eight, but even though we were about in the middle of the line we didn't leave until ten. Because we had to wait in line so long we actually made a couple friends, and even pitched an idea for an App called Raisin Maid. 

The store was an absolute mess. The bananas had been completely cleaned out, there were pillows in with the potato chips and we had to wait forty minutes in line to check out. Although it was super hectic, I did actually really enjoy myself, and  I was really happy with what I purchased. I got two cans of soup, white cheddar rice cakes, hot cocoa mix, dark chocolate hershey's kisses, honey crisp apples(which were majorly on sale), tissues, and paper towels(because for some stupid reason they don't provide any for the bathrooms). We got back to the University around one in the morning and passed out soon after. 
       


 


Today was a much more relaxed schedule. I was still busy all day, but I had plenty of time to get from one event to another and none of them were particularly stressful. Emma and I accidentally slept in until 10:30 am and were woken by a knock at the door from our cluster mates. We stumbled out into the common area, not quite awake, for our cluster agreement meeting. It didn't take very long and now that we've had it, we are allowed access to our balcony. 

After that Emma and I took forever to get ready before leaving for the Chocolate Fair at the Burke Museum. We waited in a short line before being admitted and sadly, although there was chocolate there, only one of six stations was actually about chocolate. Mostly, it was just a way to learn more about the museum and the programs that it offered.

Next, Emma and I walked over to the Ave so that I could buy my labcoat and goggles for Chemistry. We also stopped by a poster shop because our walls were looking sadly barren. We bought four posters, but it was a buy three get one free deal so all four were only about $30 and they are enormous posters. When we were checking out the lady that was ringing us up decided that for no apparent reason, she wanted to be an awesome person and give us two free smaller posters! So now I have a Dalek blueprint poster and a map of Westeros over my bed, Emma has a Jaws poster and a Hogwarts Express poster over her bed, we have a TARDIS poster on our door, and we have a Dalek "To Victory" poster on the closet above our fridge. Emma also bought a blueprint of the 10th Doctor's sonic screwdriver from the bookstore that is going to go over the window.
 
 

 

We hurried back from the poster shop to our dorm so that we could attend a free yoga class at the IMA(Intramural Activities Building). The class was really fun and I appreciated how the teacher kept it at a basic level for the people who had little to no experience, but didn't make it so basic that it was boring for people who had more experience with yoga. 

I also had my one-on-one meeting with the RA and now that I've talked to her more, she seems much cooler. She gave off a sort of indifferent air at the floor meeting a couple nights ago so it was nice to get to know her a bit better. 

I suppose that there isn't much else to say for now. I'm really excited for classes to finally start, but I'm definitely nervous as well. I've heard some not-so-nice things about Chem 142, but I do really enjoy chemistry so as long as the teacher is good at teaching(which unfortunately is often not the case) I think I will do fairly well. I'm also excited for my Italian and my Space and Space Travel classes which start at 8:30 and 10:30 respectively. Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment